Co-Parenting is hard! There I said it.
Co-Parenting is hard as shit! There I said it.
BUT, it is only as hard as you make it. For me, I want my life to be filled with joy, peace, and laughter. So, I work hard to make sure I keep my life running as smoothly as possible. This includes how I get along with Honor’s dad. I made a conscious choice to have a peaceful and loving relationship with Honor’s dad even though we are not together. And, no I don’t want to be with him. I just want Honor to see love instead of strife and drama.
1. We try to respect each other’s schedules at all times. We know things will arise at the last minute, so we go with it. If it’s a big trip or something, we make sure everyone involved knows the deets.
2. We actually talk. We don’t just schedule, we talk. I tell him if I think something may be changing in my life and he does the same with me. Talking is the key to making it work with grace and ease.
3. We don’t care that much. I know this one sounds counterproductive, but it works. We don’t care that much about bragging about who spends the most time with Honor. We avoid counting who had Honor for this many hours or this many days. We help each other out as much as we can.
4. We keep our deets to ourselves. We don’t involve many people into our lives. People won’t understand and just confuse things.
5. We keep it light. We already know everything about each other, so we don’t need to have deep conversations all the time. We laugh, joke, talk, and love Honor. Being serious all the time can cause tension and make it harder to co-parent with joy.